1. Bend +rotational twist in spine causing – Hump / deformity / Swelling On back with posture tilt
2. Etiology -Idiopathic scoliosis in Young Adolescent female ( 8-15 years) present with back Hump
3. Other causes
– Congenital scoliosis(bony malformation)
– Syndromic scoliosis
– Neuromuscular Scoliosis among kids
– degenrative scoliosis among adults. Correct diagnosis & etiology shall be ascertained at earliest
4. Presence of Pain and motor or sensory weakness / difficulty walking in scoliosis patient warrants – detailed investigation to rule out Infection / tumor / TB or some secondary pathology.
5. Proper X ray and MRI are primary investigations in scoliosis patients
6. Investigations in Scoliosis involve
– X ray Full spine PA view standing (not AP view)
– X Ray Full spine standing Lateral View
– X ray full spine PA views Bending films left and right
– MRI screening whole spine with dedicated study of affected spine ( only if pain or sensorimotor involvement )
7. Bracing, Casting and Physio have limited role or NO ROLE in correction of Scoliosis(only for mild deformity in young kids ). In severe deformity in gown up kids is a wastage of time.
8. Early diagnosis is important to manage the child surgically in safest manner. Late diagnosis can lead to severe deformity requiring bigger surgery.
9. Scoliosis Surgery is extremely Safe and predictable efficient straightening of spine is possible safely and is reocmmended if defomrity is progressive ( > 50 degree) or has pain, neuro deficit. Fear of surgery can sometimes can delay the need for worse.
10. Scoliosis surgery is extremely safe with modern innovations – navigation, Neuromonitoring and modern implant and imaging techniques.
Early diagnosis and early management is the key!!
Call to Schedule an Appointment
Prefer to talk to someone about your Appointment? Call us today.