Herniated Disc upper back | Dr. Vishal Kundnani | Best Spine Doctor in Mumbai
Dr. Vishal Kundnani Consultant Spinal Surgeon at Bombay Hospital and Lilawati Hospital, Bandra; Director of Mumbai Institute of Spine Surgery and Spine Clinic, Bombay Hospital is one of the best Spine Surgeons in India. He heads the Spine Clinic – Centre for Spinal reconstruction and minimal invasive Spine Surgery at Bombay Hospital, Mumbai, Bhopal Fracture Hospital Bhopal and Lilawati Hospital, Bandra. Having completed his basic qualifications from Bhopal, Jaipur he has been trained in various renowned spinal centers of repute across the globe such as S.M.S Hospital, Jaipur. Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai, KEM Hospital Mumbai, National University Hospital Singapore, Seoul National University Hospital, Korea, Hokkaido National University Hospital, Japan and Women’s and Children Hospital, Australia.
Dr. Vishal Kundnani is fellowship-trained in various aspects of Spine Surgery and his credentials have been garnered with fellowship in pediatric Spine Surgery- Australia, Fellowship in minimally invasive Spine Surgery- Singapore, Fellowship in Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery-Korea, Fellowship in Adult Spinal reconstruction -Singapore, Fellowship in Cervical Spine Surgery – Japan and fellowship in complex Spinal reconstruction – Japan. Dr. Vishal Kundnani has vast experience in Spine Surgery and is the pioneer in Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery in India and having performed more than 1000 Minimal Invasive Spine and more than 2000 conventional lumbar Spine and Cervical Spine Surgeries including microdiscectomy, Microendoscopic decompression, MIS – TLIF for various indications, Laminectomy, Spinal instrumentation, Spinal biopsy, Spinal Deformity Surgery (scoliosis and kyphosis) correction- SCOLIOSIS correction Surgery and instrumented fusions for various Spinal ailments. He has performed the many navigations guided Spine Surgery and is well trained for ROBOTIC Spine Surgeries. His special interests are Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, Cervical Spine Surgery, Keyhole Spine Surgery, Deformity Correction, Artificial Disc Replacement, Revision Spinal Surgery, etc. He has various national & international presentations to his credit along with numerous scientific publications in various journals of repute. He is on the faculty panel of various national and international conferences and has presented more than 200 national and international guest lecture’s across the globe.
Dr. Vishal Kundnani is on board as associate editor to various Spine Journals – National and International and is a reviewer of various orthopedic journals. He is on a panel of the scientific committee of the National Spine body. Dr. Kundnani Heads the Spine Team – a Team of Spine professional involved in Spine care. He is also the fellowship convenor and director of National Spine fellowship program at Bombay Hospital and Regional Spine Fellowship programs at various Spine centers and involved in the teaching of Graduate and postgraduate students in Bombay Hospital Medical college.
Profile of Dr. Vishal Kundnani
- M.S (Ortho.), F.A.S.S.I, F.N.U.S, F.N.A.M.S.
- Spine Surgeon, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai.
- Hon. Asso Prof -Dept Of Orthopedics & Spine Surgery.
- Grant Medical College & Sir JJ Hosp, University of Mumbai.
- Specialist in Minimal Invasive & Microscopic Spine Surgery.
- Currently functioning (Since 2009 till date) at Bombay Hospital Mumbai as Spine Surgeon.
- Head SPINE CLINIC- Bombay Hospital Mumbai.
- Director-Mumbai Institute of Spine Surgery – Mumbai, Raipur, Bhopal, Jaipur.
- Trained and proficient in Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery, Pediatric Spine Surgery, Craniovertebral & Cervical Spine Surgery, Navigation guided Spine Surgery.
- Pioneer in Navigation guided Spine Surgery and Robotic spine surgeries. Successfully performed 3000+ Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery Technique and 500+ with navigation guided spine Surgery.
- Supervisor to National ASSI spine fellowship program & on advisory board for ASSI spine fellowship. Supervisor and guide – National MISS Spine Fellowship program – 2 Seats.
- Executive Council Member –
- MISSI – Minimal Invasive Spine Surgeons of India.
- BSS – Bombay Spine Society.
- ASSI – Association of Spine Society of India.
- BOS – Bombay Orthopedic Society.
- Advisory board Member – Education committee of ASSI (Asso. Of Spine Surgeons of India).
- Faculty on panel AO Spine International foundation and Asia Pacific Spine Society and National & most International Spine Conference’s.
- On editorial Board for Spine Journals and Indian Journal of Orthopedics.
- M.B.B.S. – Barkatullah University, Bhopal. (Gold Medalist).
- M.S.(Orthopedics) – Rajasthan University of Health Science, Jaipur. (Gold Medalist).
- F.A.S.S.I – Fellow Assc.Of Spine Surgeons Of India, India.
- F.N.U.S – Fellow of National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- F.M.S.S – Fellow Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery, Seoul, Korea.
- F.N.A.M.S. – Fellow national academy of medical sciences, University of Utah, USA.
Fellowship In Spine Surgery
- Research Fellowship-Spine Surgery, INDIA Mentor – Prof S.Y.Bhojraj, Lilavati Hospital Mumbai.
- National A.S.S.I (Ass. of Spine Surgeons of India) Spine Surgery Fellowship, INDIA Mentor – Dr. Abhay M. Nene, Dr. Mihir R. Bapat, P.D. Hinduja Hospital & M.R.C, Mumbai.
- Hinduja Hospital Clinical Fellowship in Advanced Spine surgery, INDIA Mentor – Dr. Mihir R. Bapat, Dr. Sanjay Agarwala, P.D. Hinduja Hospital & M.R.C, Mumbai.
- SYNTHES Asia Pacific Clinical Spine Surgery Fellowship, INDIA Mentor – Dr. Abhay M. Nene, Dr. Mihir R. Bapat, P.D. Hinduja Hospital & M.R.C, Mumbai.
- MIS- Spine Surgery Fellowship, KOREA Mentor– Prof. Choon Lee, Dr. H. Kim, National University Hospital, Seoul, KOREA
- Advanced Cervical Spine Surgery Traveling Fellowship, JAPAN Mentor – Prof Kuniyoshi Abumi, Prof M. Ito, Hokkaido University Hospital, Sapporo, Japan.
- Clinical Fellowship in Spine Surgery, SINGAPORE Mentor – Prof H.K. Wong, Prof H.H Tak, Dr. Gabriel Liu, National University Hospital, Singapore.
- AO Travelling Fellowship in Paediatric Spine Surgery, AUSTRALIA Mentor – Prof P Cundy, Prof Cairn, Women’s & Children University Hospital, Adelaide, AUSTRALIA.
- GLOBAL Travelling Fellowship-Spine Reconstruction, the UK-Mentor –Prof Michael Chung, Queens Medical Center, Nottingham, UK
- Travelling Fellowship Navigation and robotic Spine Surgery, Mentor – Prof –T Lund, Helsinki National Hospital, Finland.
|High School & Higher Secondary||Good Shepherd Convent H.S. School, Shahdol (M.P.)||M.P Board, Bhopal||1983-1997|
|M.B.B.S||Gandhi Medical College & attached Hospital, Bhopal (M.P)||Barkatullah University,Madhya Pradesh||1998-2004|
|M.S.(Ortho)||Sawai Man Singh Medical College & Assc. Hospitals, Jaipur (Rajasthan)||Rajasthan University Of Health Sciences, Rajasthan||May 2004 – April 2007|
|Research fellowship – Spine Surgery||Lilavati Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Mumbai||Spine Foundation, INDIA||May’07- July’07|
|National ASSI Fellowship – Spine Surgery||P.D. Hinduja hospital & Medical Research Centre, Mumbai||Association of spine surgeons of India,INDIA||Aug ’07- Jan’08|
|Hinduja Hospital Clinical Fellowship – Spine Surgery||P.D Hinduja hospital & medical research centre, Mumbai||P. D. Hinduja National hospital & M.R.C, Mumbai||Feb’08-July’08|
|AO-Synthes Asia Pacific Fellowship Spine Surgery||P.D Hinduja hospital & medical research centre, Mumbai||AO Asia Pacific Spine Foundation||Aug ’08- Jan’09|
|Fellowship Minimal invasive Spine Surgery||Seoul National University Hospital, Korea||National University, Korea||Feb’09-Aprill 09|
|Traveling fellowship –Advanced Cervical Spine Surgery||Hokkaido University Hospital,Sapporo, JAPAN||Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan||July’09|
|Clinical Fellow ship – Spine Surgery Travelling Fellow ship||National University Hospital & M.R.C., Singapore||National university of Singapore||May’09- Oct’09|
|Travelling Fellowship||Spine centre, Women’s & Children University Hospital,||Adelaide University, AUSTRALIA||Nov-09|
|Travelling Fellowship||Queens Medical Center, Nottingham ,UK||NHS , UK||Sept 2013|
|Travelling Fellowship||Helsinki University Hospital ,Helsinki||Finland||Jul-14|
Publications - International
- Patel J, Upadhyaya M, Patel A, Kundnani V; DiagnosticEfficacy, sensitivity, and specificity of Gene Xpert for spinal tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance. Spine Journal, 2019.
- Patel J, Upadhyaya M, Patel A, Kundnani V; Superior Facet Joint Violation in single-level Minimal Invasive Transformational Interbody Fusion; Comparative study, Asian Spine Journal 2019.
- Neil K, Sanyam Jain, Kundnani V; Surgical Outcomes of posterior cervical laminectomy for multilevel degenerative Spondylotic cervical myelopathy in the long term. Asian Journal of Neuro Surgery 2019.
- Sanyam Jain, Neil K, Ankit P, Ruparel S, Kundnani V; Learning Curve of Micro endoscopic Discectomy in single-level PIVD; Global Spine Journal 2019.
- Sanyam Jain, Neil K, Ankit P, Gaurav M, Kundnani V; Efficacy of Posterior Instrumentation, Decompression and Transpedicular Bone Grafting in osteoporotic Burst Fracture with Neurological Deficit; Asian Journal of Neuro Surgery 2019.
- S Dutta; Kundnani V; Efficacy and feasibility of Trans articular screw-in Paediatric (<8 Yrs. ) Atlantoaxial instability; European Spine Journal, July 2018.
- Ruparel S, Patel Ankit; Apical Spinal Osteotomy in Severe rigid Kyphoscoliosis in Paediatric Population; J of Neuro Surgery -Pediatrics, April 2018.
- Dusad T, Kundnani V; Comparative evaluation of Radiation dosage, cumulative exposure and radiation time in Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery TLIF – Navigation Guided Vs Non-navigation Guided comparative Trial. Asian Spine Journal Dec 2017.
- Dusad T, Kundnani V ; Rare Case of Intradural Intramedullary Bronchogenic Tumor Cyst in Thoracic Cord presenting with Sudden Paraplegia;- Journal Of Spine Surgery, July 2017.
- Dutta Shamayou, Kundnani V; Feasibility and efficacy of Transarticular screw-in Paediatric (<8 Yrs ) Atlantoaxial instability; European Spine Journal Dec 2016.
- Saurabh, Kundnani V, Nene A: Post Vertebroplasty Instability- Report of 5 cases.J Neuro Surgery Spine, Dec 2012.
- Saini N, Kundnani V, Patni P, Gupta S.; Outcome of early active mobilization after flexor tendons repair in zones II-V in hand.; Indian J Orthop. 2010.
- Pawar UM, Kundnani V, Nene A. Major vessel injury with cage migration: surgical complication in a case of spondylodiscitis; Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Jun.
- Kundnani VK, Zhu L, Tak H, Wong H; Multimodal intraoperative neuromonitoring in corrective Surgery for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: Evaluation of 354 consecutive cases; Indian J Orthop. 2010 Jan.
- Hee HT, Kundnani V; Rationale for use of polyetheretherketone polymer interbody cage device in cervical Spine Surgery. Spine J. 2010 Jan.
- Kundnani V, Tak H.H: Efficacy of PEEK cages in cervical spine Surgery – a retrospective survey of 239 cases and review of literature – The Spine Journal; Feb 2010.
- Kundnani V, Agashe V, Nene A, Nene A. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis of the Spine–is it the beginning of the end? A study of twenty-five culture is proven multidrug-resistant tuberculosis Spine patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Oct.
- Sarkar NK, Thapar U, Kundnani, Functional relevance of J-protein family.Cell Stress Chaperones. 2011 May.
- Getzler YD, Kundnani V, Lobkovsky EB Catalytic carbonylation of beta-lactones to succinic anhydrides. J Am Chem Soc. 2004 Jun.
- Pawar U, Kundnani V, Nene A.M; MDR T.B. Spine –the demographic study of 25 patients of MDR T.B. Spine – Spine, October 2009.
- Saini, Vishal Kundnani, D.S.Meena, P.Patni; Distraction Histogenesis for treatment of Kienbock’s disease: A 2- to 8-year follow-up, Indian Journal of Orthopaedics (IJO) – April – June 2009 / Volume 43 / Issue 2.
- Saini, Vishal Kundnani, P.Patni, Early Active mobilization of extensor tendon repair – Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, September 2008 / Volume 42 / Issue 3.
- C.Meena, Vishal Kundnani, Zakir H; Fracture Shaft femur: Close Vs open interlocking nailing- Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Oct 2006/ Vol 40 / No. 4.
Getzler Y.D, Kundnani V, Lobkovsky EB, Coates GW; catalytic carbonylation of beta lactones to succinic anhydrides, Journal Of American Chemistry society Jun 9; 126(22), 2004.
Publications - National
- Hangmans Fracture – Anterior Cervical Discectomy and fusion – report of 6 cases – Journal of Orthopaedics, India.
- Kundnani Vishal, Uday Pawar, Abhay Nene; CT-GUIDED VERTEBROPLASTY – enhanced precision at low costs – Annual hinduja hospital research yearly review,volume 41, Mumbai, 2008.
- Kundnani Vishal, Uday Pawar, Abhay Nene; Efficacy of CT guided biopsy in spinal lesions – analysis of results in 268 cases – Annual hinduja hospital research yearly review, volume 41, Mumbai, 2008.
- Kundnani Vishal, Mihir Bapat; Cervical Spondylotic myelopathy – Surgical Protocol – Annual hinduja hospital research yearly review 2007.
- Kundnani Vishal; SY bhojraj; Evaluation of C1-C2 OA in head loaders – Association of spine surgeons of India journal – 2007 Under Review-International index journals.
- Role of stand alone transarticular screw with allograft in patients with mobile AAD – Journal of Neurosurgery -Spine.
- Navigation Guided MIS TLIF – Spine J.
- Learning curve in MIS TLIF – single surgeon experience on 150 cases over 6 years – Spine J.
- Learning curve in High thoracic Pedicle screw insertion – JSDT.
- Tandem Stenosis – CLinical Efficacy of Single stage surgery in Elderly.
Review & Audit
- Scientific Review Committee – Indian Journal of Orthopaedics.
- Education & Fellowship committee- Association Spine surgeons of India.
- Education and scientific training committee – Sir JJ Hospital & GMC, University of Mumbai.
- Audit committee – Bombay Hospital , Spine Unit.
- Executive Committee, Bombay Spine Society, Mumbai.
- Bombay Operative Spine Course 2014 – 2019 -National Spine course – Largest Spine course in country.
- Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery course 206 – 2017 – 2018.
- Navigation guided Spine Surgery course – 2017-2018.
- Association of Spine Surgeons conference 2011, 2015.
Podium Presentation’s (National & International)
- On Board Faculty for most national & International Spine Conferences.
- More than 200 deliberations in International and National conferences as faculty.
- Presented research papers in International conferences on more than 25 occasions.
Conferences Attended & Organised
- Have attended more than 200 conferences on spine surgery and have been a member of the organizing the team for more than 25 national and international conferences.
Awards, Honors, And Achievements
- Gold Medalist in M.B.B.S, Barkatullah University & M.S. (Ortho) Rajasthan Health University.
- Accolades for academic performance in Spine Surgery on national & International Forum on multiple occasions during fellowship and training years.
- Won the best paper award in research on national fronts in Spine Surgery-2008, 2010, 2013.
- Young surgeons achiever award -2017.
- Best doctor Mumbai 2018 award – ESA – consultants association.
- CNN Young Turk Healhtcare Buissness award -2016.
Sports, Cultural & Academic Activities
- Active member of IMA- Mumbai Cricket Team currently.
- Won best Athlete award in Graduation on multiple occasions .
Have led Cricket, Basket Ball & Volley Ball Teams in Graduation & Post Graduation.
Professional Affiliations – Life Member
- International AO Spine – Life Member.
- Pacific Asia Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons–P.A.A. M.I.S.S.
- Asia Pacific Orthopedic Association – Spine Chapter (APOA).
- Spinal Cord Society of India – S.C.S Life Member.
- Spine Surgeons of India – A.S.S.I – Life Member.
- Indian Orthopedic Association – I.O.A – Life Member.
- Indian Arthroscopy Society – I.A.S Life Member.
- Singapore Medical Council – Singapore.
- National Academy of Medical Sciences – USA – Life Member.
- Bombay Orthopedic Society – Life Member.
- Founder Director – Swasthya Foundation – Involved actively in the education of girl child in various parts of the country, India and also sponsors free healthcare management for patients with spinal deformity. Involved actively in education and upliftment of girl child in poor and needy of society in the country for the last 7 years.
- Founder – Director of Mumbai Spine Society Social Wing – involved in the training of undergraduate and postgraduate training programs for medical students to raise awareness and understanding of spinal ailments.
- Founder – Director of Mumbai Institute of Spine Surgery-provides spine services in medical colleges providing, training, service, and education to the postgraduate students which are then selected for the fellowship program in various capacities.